If you've been anywhere near a newspaper, TV or any online news portal in the past few months you'll have certainly noticed all the headlines in regards to gay rights. From the Sochi Olympics, the NFL, the vetoed Arizona discrimination bill, the 'kill the gays' bill in uganda, to Jared Leto's recent Oscar win for portraying a transgender in the 2013 blockbuster Dallas Buyers Club, the headlines will have your head spinning. And quite often, these headlines are anything but positive.
One of the worst bits of news to break out in recent weeks is that of a stiff policy change in uganda which allows for criminalization of any and all acts of homosexuality, even PERCEIVED homosexuality.
wikipedia.org: 'Like the conditions in many other African nations, gays in uganda currently face an atmosphere of physical abuse, vandalism to their property, blackmail, death threats, and "correctional rape". Homosexuals face up to 14 years in prison if found guilty.'
As depressing as that sounds, remember that here in the United States and all over this great planet, there are throngs and throngs of well-wishers and staunch advocates for your rights, OUR RIGHTS! Some are more well-known than others; some are louder than others; some are male; some are female and some are somewhere in between. Some approach their support from a place of Faith; some are without religion. Nevertheless, they have all come together to do the right thing!
Keep this in mind always.
Below is a list of 20 well-known supporters. By all means, go out of your way and thank them! Find them on twitter, Instagram, Facebook, or wherever and say Thank You!:
- Daniel Radcliffe (actor)
- Flea (musician, Red Hot Chili Peppers)
- Anthony Keidis (musician, Red Hot Chili Peppers)
- Carrie Underwood (musician)
- Willie Nelson (musician, activist)
- Sean Avery (Canadian former professional hockey player)
- George Clooney (actor, activist)
- Betty White (actress, comedian)
- Kurt Cobain (rock legend, Nirvana)
- Whoopi Goldberg (actress, comedian, host of The View)
- Steven Spielberg (director, producer, et al)
- Anne Hathaway (actress)
- Angelina Jolie (actress)
- Sir Paul McCartney (former Beatle, activist)
- Chris Kluwe (athlete, activist, musician)
- Susan Olsen (yes, Cindy Brady!)
- Henry Rollins (the amazing legendary punk god)
- Green Day (punk-pop rock band)
- Reverend Al Sharpton (activist, tv personality)
- Ben Cohen (handsome rugby star that leads the Stand Up Foundation)
Look for another list of other 20 gay-rights supporters in future blog postings.